Inverters form an integral part of many people across all spheres of life. You need it to access your electrical equipment during power outages, natural disasters and generally when you don’t have any power.
However there are many questions that linger in many people’s minds about buying and using AC power industrial inverters. They tend to wonder if an AC inverter can catch fire.
They wonder if it’s safe to have one in their home, and especially in their bedroom.
Well, here’s a rundown on the most common questions, and answers on most people’s minds when it comes to AC inverters.
FAQ about AC power industrial inverters
1. How important is proper ventilation?
Ventilation is rather important because inverters generate heat with use, and this heat can hamper the unit’s performance. So ensure that you place the inverter some place with proper ventilation wherein the intake vents aren’t blocked. Don’t forget to ensure the cooling fans are in proper working condition too.
2. Is it safe to keep the inverter in the bedroom?
Yes, it’s safe to keep your AC power inverter in the bedroom, as long as there is proper ventilation. There is no need to worry about the acidic fumes it emits as it is anyway within a safe limit.
3. Can inverters catch fire?
This depends. There are inverters in the market that can serve you for a long time to come without any hiccups. Similarly, there are also some that can set your home, office or bedroom ablaze.
As usual, prevention is always better than cure. You can use the following tips to prevent the chances of a fire happening in the first place:
Bad fume filters
Your inverter battery’s fume filters can crack, and trigger a fire. So make sure you keep checking it to ensure its strong enough, and there’s no fear of it easily breaking.
Fluctuating input voltages
Constant fluctuations in input voltage can affect the working of the different inverter’s transistor parts, to eventually lead to a blast.
Poor quality base
Some low quality inverters have PCBs with low quality bases which can frequently short circuit and trigger fire accidents. Even small inverter tracks can trigger a fire accident.
As mentioned earlier, AC power inverters generate heat with use. So it’s important that you keep the inverter in a properly ventilated place and that it’s cooling fans work properly to keep the inverter cool. There is the risk of the inverter burning out if the temperature exceeds a certain limit.
Absence of an auto cut-off function
In the case of inverters without an auto cut-off function, there is the risk of it not being able to release extra load if they get messed up. This can in turn increase the risks and possibility of an internal burnout.
How to take care of AC power inverters?
Regular maintenance goes a long way at prolonging your inverter life. It includes:
- Installing the inverter in a well ventilated spot, ideally somewhere breezy. It not only improves the battery performance, but also minimizes the need of water topping.
- Using the inerter regularly, and thus discharging the battery on a regular basis.
- Frequently checking battery water levels to ensure they are in between the highest and lowest levels, and refilling with distilled water if necessary.
- Keeping the inverter clean by using a soft cotton napkin to wipe off any dust or dirt that can reduce the inverter battery performance.
- Removing battery terminal rust by pouring a mixture of boiling water and baking soda on the corroded regions. Then rub the terminals with a toothbrush until corrosion-free, and apply some petroleum jelly or Vaseline to prevent future corrosion.
Now that most of your questions are answered, the last question you may have is where do I find good AC power industrial inverters? Exeltech is a good place to check for its wide range of inverters and optimal customer support.